Thursday, February 4, 2016

Selfies Good for the Soul

selfie

 
There's nothing like taking a good selfie. You simply just can't beat the pride you feel when the lighting is perfect, your makeup is on point, your hair is tousled to perfection, and that you have a picture to document the moment. I don't know about you, but selfies make me happy. They make me feel confident and in this world, confidence is key.



In 2013, "Selfie" was Oxford Dictionary's word of the year. However, some people viewed this as a disgrace to mankind. They see it as vain and silly, without realizing there might be benefits to it. And it's people who perhaps make fun of selfie-takers, who make up the need for selfies even more.

Taking selfies is a great way to develop self-love. Just working up the courage to take a picture of yourself without even posting it on social media is a huge step towards self-love. It shows that you're confident enough to believe that a picture of yourself will look good and that you're worthy of a self-portrait. You're announcing your existence and that you look stunning while doing it. What's not to love about that?! In fact, according to a survey taken by Today, 65% of teenage girls said that seeing their selfies on social media boosts their confidence.

I personally don't post my selfies on social media, and that's not just because I don't have any social media. To me, selfies are more personal and just for myself. They benefit me and I don't need other people's approval in order to feel good about myself. I don't want to start depending on a number of "likes" or insincere comments to determine whether or not my face is "selfie-worthy." However, if getting "likes" and compliments through comments help make you feel good about yourself, then by all means, go for it! It's important, though, to remember that a number doesn't define you and that you should be conscious of not becoming "like-hungry." (haha there are so many made-up words in this post...I love it!)

It's important to not bash anyone for what they do, especially something as simple as taking a picture of themself. We live in a world where people think it's cool to hate when it's not. We should turn this world into one that loves to spread love. And with love comes support and confidence.

Selfie?...Selfie.

So, take your selfies and take them proudly!

Sarahxoxo

1 comment :