Monday, July 16, 2018

What to Do with Your Summer if You're Not Going on Vacation

There's nothing worse than sitting at home in your pj's thinking about how all your friends are going on vacation and basking in the sun in their sun dresses. Especially in the age of social media, no vacation goes without a post making your feed flooded with people making memories, not working, and having fun. However, in order to have fun and enjoy the sun (ew, rhyming) you don't have to travel far away to some tropical paradise.


For the past few summers, I was one of the lucky few that got to take a week long vacation to Florida where I could visit the ocean and come home significantly tanner than when I left. This year, however, I'm going without the vacation and am being forced to think outside the box with how to spend my summer days. Besides working (because I need money to go thrifting...and I guess money to buy a car and college. Yikes! Adulthood!), I've decide to take a bunch of mini vacations without damaging my bank account too much.

You may be wondering how taking a lot of mini vacations is even possible, but what I mean is collect some of your friends that are most likely feeling just as bored as you are, and take them on a day trip somewhere not to far from where you live. I tend to stick to the rule that it can't be more than 3 hours away, that way you can go somewhere new but not have to pay for an expensive hotel or take time off work.


Luckily, I happen to be surrounded by The Great Lakes, offering lots of beach opportunities. The first day trip I took was with my sister and we ventured to Grand Haven for a day to soak up the sun and eat as much ice cream as we could before it all melted. Located on the West side of Michigan, right on the shore of Lake Michigan, this town was perfect for spending hours at the beach and exploring the cutest small town. We walked along the shore, ate coffee flavored ice cream, and drooled over the gorgeous beach houses overlooking the lake. It was ridiculously hot, but wearing a romper seemed to do me well.

 
The next day trip I took was with my boyfriend and we decided to go more suburban this time. Right outside of Detroit and directly next to the Detroit Zoo is Royal Oak, a suburban city with plenty of bars, ice cream, and thrift stores. We visited the cutest, most hipster café called Atomic Coffee then window shopped and later got some ice cream (again, coffee flavored) to cool off.
 
 
My most recent day trip was with my boyfriend again and this time we went full on city. We decided to spend the evening in Detroit, finishing off the night with an amazing concert at Comerica Park to see Def Leppard and Journey. Before the concert, we went sight seeing even though this wasn't our first time visiting the city. But, walking around not only allowed us to kill time but we also had plenty of fun and meaningful conversations. Surprisingly, no coffee was involved in this trip but we did get some Detroit Water Ice (the coolest slushie you'll ever have), and coney dogs at one of the original Coney Island restaurants in Detroit called Lafayette Coney Island.
 
 
 
With plenty of more summer ahead, I'm sure more day trips will be planned. Another good idea would be to search if any street fairs are going on near you and go check them out! They even be some sidewalk sales and who doesn't love a good sidewalk sale?
 
Thank you for reading and let me know in the comments how you've been spending your summer!
 
Sarahxoxo

Get the Look

Forever 21 floral romper

Target tan flat bed sandals

lavender button up tank was thrifted but I found a look-alike here

UO baseball cap

high waisted mom shorts were thrifted but I found a similar pair here (seriously just go to your local Salvation Army store and find a pair for cheaper though)

black craft store t-shirt with cut off sleeves

overall shorts were thrifted but I found a look-alike here

woven purse info. here

 

10 comments :

  1. Your trip looks super fun!!

    I am currently in my Summer Break from school and I've spent most of my time resting and taking care of things at home. It might seem silly, but so far has been the best thing.

    Although I am already preparing myself get some days off with my best friend. We have a lot Cardcaptor Sakura to catch up!

    Wishing you all the best,

    Randomlydi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've definitely been missing the rest and relaxation part of summer this year, I feel like I've been running between going to work and going out, which is fun but also tiring. Sometimes I really enjoy just spending the day cleaning my room. Not only am I productive, but it's almost therapeutic.

      I'm glad your summer is going well and I hope you and your friend have lots of fun on your days off!

      Thank you so much for reading and for leaving a comment!

      Sarah Grace xoxo

      Delete
  2. I love love love your romper! I hope you're having fun on your vacation & trips. I wish it's still summer here in my country. School already started and it has been raining nonstop. Lol

    Bee | http://beecaluya.com ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Rompers are so wonderful, they're as pretty as dresses but have the comfort of pajama shorts in my opinion haha :) I'm sorry summer is over for you, but other seasons and school bring lots of fun opportunities so be sure to take advantage of those!

      Sarah Grace xoxo

      Delete
  3. So true about annoying loads of posts on fb/instagram feed... Sometimes makes you feel miserable and demotivated...
    Great point you have!

    The Gown 👗 http://www.thegown.cz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Social media is very good at making people compare themselves to others, that's probably the worst thing about it. I think it's good to sometimes take a break from the social media or at least remind yourself that you're a unique person on your own journey through life.<3

      Sarah Grace xoxo

      Delete
  4. I think I am going to research more on SEO this summer. I also need to rest and I have been working so hard.

    i will like to try
    Its a nice post
    I enjoyed reading.

    have a wonderful weekend
    New post
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/2018/07/top-searches-for-summer-seasonal-seo.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Researching SEO is definitely something I need to do and work on. The more I blog the more I discover how much work truly is put into each and every post. But please take care of yourself because you definitely do deserve some rest and relaxation. Thank you so much for reading!

      Sarah Grace xoxo

      Delete
  5. Great post! It shows that you don't need to go anywhere exotic to spend a nice holiday - day trips are great, and I totally want to do more of those after reading your adventures. Royal Oak sounds like the coolest place ever! Enjoy the rest of your summer fun :)

    Julia x
    Last Post: The Lace Midi | http://juliaspeaksbeauty.blogspot.com/2018/07/fashion-lace-midi.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I would love to hear about some of the day trips you’ve taken and where you went! Royal Oak was a lot of fun, though I think Grand Haven was my favorite. I’m a sucker for beach towns haha. I hope you have a great rest of your summer too!

      Sarah Grace

      Delete