Tuesday, July 24, 2018

The 70's Chic Inspiration You've Been Waiting For

Model: Alicia Styled by: Alicia Ward Photographed by: Sarah Grace (Me!)

History repeating itself is a known fact within the fashion industry. Currently we've been seeing a recurring 90's theme between the endless supply of fanny packs and clunky dad sneakers. (Find how I styled a 90's look here!) However, with returning styles and tends, they aren't exactly the same as they used to be. They're revamped and have our 21st century style added to them. Although the rest of us love following trends and find them new and stylish, those whose personal style has always been a specific decade are experiencing their worst nightmare.


It happens quickly and I'm still baffled by how fashion forecasters can predict it, but eventually stores like Forever 21 and Charlotte Russe cover their floors with the current decades trend. Then after a few social media influencers with remarkable style and a remarkable number of followers post a few outfits that go with the trend, those stores are flooded with customers, all wanting to be a part of the fashionable fun. Suddenly, the few people who were wearing fanny packs before they were "cool" are now "unoriginal" and just being "trendy." Patiently, they continue wearing their daily fanny packs hoping the storm passes quickly and that the wave of trendsetters find something new. (I'm just using fanny packs as an example, it's difficult explaining things when I'm trying to be broad of vague haha.)

In 2015, one of the major trends was the 70's. And even if you think this trend missed you, take a look in your closet and find that suede dress you bought or the button up jean mini skirt and accept the fact that 2015 truly did get the best of us. As trends always do, they come and go and 2015 was no different. However, now we can spot the originals once again because they're beginning to come out of the shadows and let their 70's style shine. I happen to be friends with an original and decided it would be interesting to do a feature on her because not only do I love her style, but I admire how unique and personal it is.


Meet Alicia Ward, one of the kindest, bubbliest, and most stylish girls I know. (Plus, she's got a killer cool instagram @aliciabby.25)

How do you get your outfit inspiration?

I've gotten really into Pinterest lately and I like going though my parents closets a lot. I like clothes that are old. And clothes that make me feel confident and make me stand out. When I go shopping I just look for things that don't look like anything I've seen before. I'm drawn to colors and patterns when I go shopping.

How would you describe your style? What does your style say about you?

I would describe it as confident. I like to wear things that are versatile because sometimes I like to dress up and other times I like to dress down and sometimes I just wear crazy stuff. I like wearing things that makes me feel good. If I'm ever in a bad mood, I'll wear super bright colors to make me feel good about myself. I think my style says that I don't care what people think. A lot of people tell me that they like how I dress up a lot, but I don't really see it that way. I just wear what makes me feel confident.


What is your favorite decade to dress in?

Definitely the 70's. I have a 70's board on Pinterest that I love to look at. I think if I had more money I'd wear bell bottoms, flowy shirts, and circle sunglasses all the time. I think it was a time when everybody was happy.

Where do you mostly shop?

I like to shop for the deals. If I need something more basic I'll go to Maurices because I get a discount there from my work. And I've been shopping at Carson's a lot because everything is on sale because they're going out of business. I don't typically shop there though. I like to go to The Salvation Army if I need shorts because I love a good pair of mom shorts.

What are your shopping and outfit planning tips?

Sometimes I plan my pants and try not to wear jeans two days in a row and wear a dress instead. I love dresses. When shopping, my mom tells me that if you don't love it in the store, you won't love it at home. Because when you're shopping you're on that shopping high, so if you aren't hyped up about it in the store, then don't buy it. Also, I think you should consider if you'll regret not buying it. Usually I plan my outfits depending on how I feel. Like today I'm dresses as a "powerful business woman" so I can strut everywhere I go.


Alicia is my fashion mood ring dream girl who demonstrates what personal style is all about: wearing what makes you feel the most confident in yourself. Hopefully she inspires you to try out a 70's look or even just find your own personal style.


Get the Look
*Items may not be exact replicas
high waisted tie trousers
off the shoulder blouse
suede wedge mules

Thank you for reading and please leave me a comment telling me what your personal style is and what decade is your favorite to dress in!

Sarah Grace xoxo

8 comments :

  1. I've been loving the 70s trends lately too! I would say I typically dress with more of a 90s style, with hints of the 60s and 70s. My Pinterest is full of fashion inspo from the 70s right now too lol. Thanks for sharing!

    melissakacar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve been loving the same fashion eras! Pinterest is literally the BEST for all kinds of inspiration... especially fashion!

      Sarah Grace

      Delete
  2. She looks lovely! And I agree with her, I love old fashioned clothing x

    Bee | http://beecaluya.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She’s such an inspiration and was wonderful to work with! Old fashioned clothing is a love of mine too!

      Sarah Grace

      Delete
  3. Loved your opinions about different trends and this outfit is so cute! "Alicia is my fashion mood ring dream girl" is like such a good line too?? This was so nice! ♡

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh thank you so much! I’m really glad you enjoyed reading!

    Sarah Grace

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm enjoying reading your posts! I want to learn to dress that well. Super cuteeee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And I'm sure you already know how to dress amazingly!

      Sarah Grace

      Delete