Friday, January 22, 2016

Me, Myself, and Fashion

Fashion has always been a part of my life. And I don't mean that in an extraordinary way. My mom wasn't a model or a fashion journalist and my dad wasn't a designer or fashion photographer. In fact, fashion has found its way into my life in the most common and sometimes overlooked ways.



Growing up, I loved Barbies. Some of the stories my sister and I would come up with were pretty intense and had a little bit of mean girls in it. It was definitely entertaining. What I loved most about Barbies though, was the clothing. I'd spent hours dressing my Barbies in outfits that I put together and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Eventually, I went from dressing my Barbies to trying out looks on myself. That's right! I finally moved on from only wearing plain Aéropastel t-shirts and the same Columbia sweater! (Middle school was a rough time for me, but wasn't it for all of us?!)

Now I put together daily looks for myself, write this blog, pin clothing like crazy on Pinterest, and spend quite a bit of time learning all there is to know about the fashion industry. And now I'll share with you the ways I've learned a bit about the industry.

1. The Future of Fashion: The Vogue Special


This YouTube series is literally all about the fashion industry and what there is to know. It follows the stunning, Alexa Chung as she travels around the world to meet with some of the fashion world's biggest names. Not only is this series extremely entertaining but insanely informative. I highly recommend watching it if you're eager to enter the fashion industry, love Alexa Chung (I know I do!), or even just need something to pass the time.

2.The Teen Vogue Handbook (2009 Edition)


The Teen Vogue Handbook is beautifully written with beautiful pictures, featuring beautiful people. (Did you know I think it's beautiful? hehe.) It's filled with stories of some of the workers at Teen Vogue and how they found their way into the fashion business. It also covers many of the different career paths such as designer, stylist, photographer, makeup artist, modeling, etc. In the back of the book is even a list of fashion schools and information about them. I've only read the 2009 edition, however there is a 2014 edition that I'm eager to read and am sure it's just as amazing as the first one. It's all about making your dream a reality.

3. Project Runway & Project Runway Jr.

I'll try to make this as short as I can because I know that I'm definitely capable of rambling about this show, so here we go. Project Runway is not only my absolute favorite television show, but really seems to make becoming a designer seem like a possible reality. In the show 16 amateur designers compete by creating looks that fit a challenge presented to them. They're responsible for designing and constructing the looks that will be judged by well-known names in the industry. Then each week there is an elimination that keeps you on your toes. By watching Project Runway I've developed an eye for fashion and can even predict what the judges will say about a design. Sometimes I'll watch an episode and draw the design that I would've done for the challenge. It's very stimulating for your creative mind and includes the perfect mix of reality drama. Season fourteen was amazing and enjoyable for the whole family. If you're interested in fashion, I definitely recommend Project Runway.

4. Gunn's Golden Rules: Life's Little Lessons for Making it Work (2010)

Tim Gunn, mentor on Project Runway, is one of my favorite people. He's proper, insightful, and knowledgeable. When it comes to fashion (and basically life), he really knows what he's talking about. In his book, Gunn's Golden Rules: Life's Little Lessons for making it Work, Tim reveals what it takes to make it in the fashion world while sharing some of his personal stories that will leave you laughing out loud or staring at the printed words in awe. For a non-fiction story, it's riveting and I couldn't put it down. If you're interested in knowing the juicy details that come with being in the fashion industry, this is the book for you!

There are plenty of other ways to learn about fashion and what it takes to be a part of it, but these are just a few things that have made an impact on my life. I hope you take a look at some of the products I've mentioned and find them just as useful as I have.

Sarahxoxo

No comments :

Post a Comment