Saturday, July 20, 2019

Recreating Miu Miu Croisière 2020 with Thrifted Clothing


One of my favorite things about summertime, other than tan lines and picnics, is summer fashion. To be more specific, I'm talking about resort/cruise collections. These are pre-season ready-to-wear collections that represent the upcoming looks of late summer. Despite their name, they can most definitely be worn to more than just resorts and cruises. While fashion is exciting in the fall (hellooooo New York Fashion Week) and completely floral and pastel in the spring (*heart eyes*), resort wear seems to have captured my heart entirely. In my opinion, it's the perfect mix of fall AND spring and you'll soon see what I mean.



I'd be lying if I said I've never looked at a high fashion collection and questioned, "who would wear that in public?" Sometimes I don't always understand the vision of the designer, which in my opinion, is how it's supposed to be. A true piece of art must make the observer question themselves and spark feelings of emotion, even if that emotion is confusion or distaste (though usually that's not ideal). While this is true for me on occasion, the MIU MIU Croisière 2020 collection (Croisière meaning "cruise" in French) gave me nothing but butterflies in my stomach because it was perfect.



The MIU MIU collection consisted of more shoulder pads than I could ever dream of, shorts that would give a grandpa a run for his money, and collars dramatic enough to make Sally Albright drool with envy. I'd best describe it as vintage pieces styled freshly. In fact, I recently thrifted pieces similar to ones in the collection, which led me to styling two outfits directly inspired by this collection.

Outfit #1:


This first outfit was all about the layering. There's nothing I love more than chunky grandpa cardigan and high waist shorts. Fun fact: these shorts originally reached my mid thigh in length, but I hemmed them to make them shorter. This is a skill that has served me well while thrifting. (though I'm definitely a fan of longer shorts now. But in my defense, I hemmed them about three years ago.)



The white sweater is hands down my most worn item in my closet. Funnily, it was given to my mom by an old high school boyfriend which I later inherited by finding it in the basement and falling in love. (with the sweater, NOT the boyfriend)


Under the cardigan is another sweater, which is what makes this collection feel a bit like autumn and made me feel like I was in a sauna while taking these pictures. It was the perfect sweater to layer because it is a tighter fit and I liked how the neckline was a smaller but similar shape to the cardigan. 


I wanted to remain simple, but vintage when accessorizing. This resulted in a plain black belt, cat eye sunglasses, a black page boy hat, vintage Louis Vuitton purse, and a gold chain on my glasses for pizzazz. I actually made the chain on my glasses and it was SUPER easy, so maybe I'll make another post on how I did that.


The best part about this outfit is that all of it is second hand. (Except for the hat, glasses, and shoes)

...And on to the next 'fit!

Outfit #2


The color palette of MIU MIU's collection is what dreams are made of. There's an overall cool undertone (temperature-wise, though it definitely is socially cool too), despite containing orange and some pretty spunky vibrant green socks. I enjoyed playing around with this orange button-up blouse I thrifted and a pair of chino shorts. Not gonna lie, these shorts were bought with Sally Albright specifically in mind.

Yep, this scene right here...

image via here
LOL at my attempt to "smolder"
 Of the two outfits, I have to say that I think this one is my favorite. I really enjoyed the pop of color and that it looks like I'm getting ready to go on a safari. I mean, why else would it be called resort wear?? Again, layering the blouse with a suede blazer reminds me of fall but rolling the sleeves helped keep me cool...kind of.



Loafers are everything to me. They are a staple item for any and every closet and they're so comfortable to slip on. I rely on loafers to pull together any outfit and they never fail, especially when paired with ankle socks as such. My love for loafers began with Spencer in Pretty Little Liars... or maybe it was Taylor Swift's red era? Whichever came first. But all I know is that the love affair is never-ending.


This look also consists of entirely thrifted pieces. (except for the shoes and glasses)


Here I am dreaming of loafers. Loafers are to me what typewriters are to Frank in You've Got Mail.


Thank you for reading and hopefully you've found some inspiration. I encourage you to take a look in your closet and find new ways to style them before going off to buy the next trend. Often times, history repeats itself even in fashion and buying second hand or rewearing/repurposing clothes you already own can make a significant difference.

Please leave me comment on your thoughts on resort wear or even just to say hi!

Until next time,
Sarah Grace xoxo


No comments :

Post a Comment