Thursday, January 3, 2019

A Parisian Look Inspired By My Favorite YA Novel


When I was little, I hated reading. Emphasis on "hated." No matter how many times my parents dragged me to the library or bookstore, I dug my heals in and refused to pick up a book. That was until I became acquainted with Harry Potter. (Thanks J. K. Rowling, I owe you one.) However, that is an entire other story in itself.

It's funny for me to imagine hating one of the things I love most. I mean, it's a dream of mine to one day be a published writer! But among my current love for reading, my favorite genre lies within YA (Young Adult). And within this subcategory is Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins.


 
"Anna can’t wait for her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a good job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. So she’s not too thrilled when her father unexpectedly ships her off to boarding school in Paris – until she meets Etienne St. Clair, the perfect boy. The only problem? He’s taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her crush back home. Will a year of romantic near-misses end in the French kiss Anna awaits?"
 

Imagine the most heart-warming, bitter-sweet, and dreamy romantic comedy. Okay, now take that and put it in Paris. Not only does it contain the most precious love-story, but the overall theme of friendship makes me want to put all of my friends in a pickle jar (like Lilo in Lilo and Stich), but instead of shaking it, I would hug it and hold it close to my heart.

The first time I read (and finished) Anna I felt an overwhelming feeling of joy and sadness and nostalgia over the adventure I had just read and experienced. I assure you that every single time I've re-read it, I have felt those exact emotions, and just as intense. I used to think those feeling only ever occurred during a first experience, but I've been proved wrong. Not to mention, every time I become completely obsessed. In fact, this post is a side effect of said obsession because I've taken Anna and the French Kiss and turned it into an outfit.


The outfit I put together obviously had to be Parisian, however, it needed that Sally Albright romantic comedy feel to it. While this probably isn't something I imagine the main character to be wearing, it's what I would wear if I were her. Plus, this entire outfit (minus the boots) was thrifted!

From what I've observed via Instagram, Parisians somehow manage to look chic and flawless while wearing only basics. I love how they take a simple outfit and make it look like so much more. Plus, that makes it easier to be inspired because these item may already be inside your closet. This is why I chose Gap mom jeans, a fitted Tommy Hilfiger black cable knit sweater, a tan Kate Hill trench coat, black plain lace up ankle boots, and a vintage Louis Vuitton purse. I then tied a tan and black scarf in my hair for that feminine affect and called the look complete!



If you have yet to experience this amazing book, don't hesitate to go pick it up. I almost want to say that your satisfaction is guaranteed! But either way, this post wouldn't exist without it.

Thank you for reading and Happy New Year! Also, I'd like to thank my boyfriend for being such a talented photographer and for standing out in the freezing cold with me to get these pics.


Now excuse me while I go watch Ratatouille.

Sarah Grace xoxo

2 comments :

  1. This outfit is so pretty and timeless! I could totally wear something similar and I am French, so I guess you planned the outfit really well with your inspiration in mind haha! I love your trench, and the scarf in the hair is a nice addition. Happy new year Sarah :)

    Julia x
    Last Post: Why the End of the Year is NOT Your Deadline | https://juliaspeaksbeauty.blogspot.com/2019/01/lifestyle-why-end-of-year-is-not-your.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Julia! It means a lot to have someone who's actually French compliment it! I hope 2019 is treating you well.

      Sarah Grace

      Delete