Saturday, April 23, 2016

Current Read: The Selection by Kiera Cass


It feels like life lately has been on fast-forward. So much was happening each week that before I knew it, I found myself facing the end of the school year, which is crazy! I was ready to slow things down a bit to enjoy more of what was happening in life, so what better way to do that, than by reading?!


Ever since the day I picked up Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in fourth grade, I've been an avid reader. It got to the point where it was rare to see me without my nose in a book. Lately, I've felt that I haven't had much time for reading and pick up books less and less...until now.


When I had a day off to spend with myself, I figured why not start reading again to pass the time? So, I picked The Selection by Kiera Cass off my bookshelf and began to read. I've already read this book, in fact, I've read all of the available books in the series, but believe me when I tell you it's worth the re-read. I actually read it cover-to-cover in one day!

The Selection is my feel-good book. Although there are definitely parts in it that make me feel sad, angry, and embarrassed, it overall has a very happy and light mood to it. I just can't get enough of it! Somewhere (probably Pinterest) I think I read something like, Books are my therapy, but also the reason I need therapy, and I've never read a more true statement. This book, is definitely my therapy. (I've even created a Pinterest board dedicated to this 5-book series!)

So, I suppose instead of just throwing this book in your face and telling you to read it, I should tell you a little bit about it. Well, it's basically The Bachelor meets princesses...literally. The strong and stubborn protagonist, America Singer, enters a lottery to live in the palace with thirty-five other girls and compete for Prince Maxon's heart. However, there are dangers, obstacles, complications, and feelings that get in the way. All the while, the girls wear the most extravagant dresses and live a royal lifestyle.

"For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined."
~Goodreads


I promise that you'll fall in love with the characters and that story, I know I did! So, go check it out!

Sarahxoxo

No comments :

Post a Comment